Gwen Adams
Anderson

George Anderson

A definitive exploration of a state organization to parallel professional groups in Iowa, Texas and other states was offered by George Anderson during the school year 1960-61.  Those persons that knew him and the effect of his dynamic leadership in music readily responded to this idea.  A notice was placed in the Nebraska Music Educators magazine inviting directors to attend an organizational meeting along with a proviso that they send $10 in order for the work to begin.  Thus, George Anderson is really the father of the current Nebraska State Bandmasters Association.

R. Cedric Anderson taught instrumental Music in Battle Creek, and North Platte Nebraska—finishing his career at Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Mr. Anderson served as the third President of the Nebraska Music Educators Association in 1945 and was one of the founders of the Association which had its beginnings as the Nebraska Bandmasters Association.   He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1979.

  James Bastian
  Bob Beadell
Booth

Duane F. Booth taught his entire thirty-seven year career at Creighton starting in 1957. He is loved and respected by many students and parents alike for his service to the community.  Duane was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Hall of Fame in 1998.


Burkel

Louis Burkel spent the greater part of his career as Director of Bands at Beatrice.  He was on the organizing committee of NSBA, serving on the Constitution Committee.  He also served as President of the Nebraska Music Educators Association.  He was a member of the organizing committee for the initial Nebraska Marching Band Festival which began in 1958 as an indoor event at Pershing Municipal Auditorium.


  Gerald Chalupa
Harold Chatelain
  Ralph Chatelain

Donald W. Childs initially taught in a rural school at Moore Springs, WY, coached basketball and taught 7th & 8th grades in LaGrange, WY and coached basketball, and taught band and high school classes at Henry, NE. He farmed briefly but returned to teach instrumental and vocal music at Minatare, Ne and instrumental music at Gering High School. He retired in 1970 after 40 years of teaching.  He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1979.

Donald L. Childs:  The son of Donald W. Childs, he served as Band Director at Banner County High School in Harrisburg, NE.  His bands appeared, in concert at NMEA and NSBA conventions and were consistent Division I recipients at District Music Contest.  He moved to Lexington where he taught until he retired to go into business.  He was a skilled pilot who flew his own plane.  He, unfortunately, died in the crash of his plane killing him and his wife.


  Russell Cummings
Georgine Diers Georgene Diers was awarded the Donald A. Lentz “Outstanding Bandmaster” award in 1980. She was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1985. Her first and only job was the Scottsbluff Public Schools where she taught for 38 years. She was  known primarily for her outstanding Junior High Bands but served as an assistant Director for the High School Bands. She retired in 1991 and passed away March 18, 2009.
BVernon Forbes

Vernon A. Forbes  taught band and orchestra in the Lincoln Public Schools, beginning at Whittier Junior High, then moving to Irving Junior High and in 1943 he became Band and Orchestra Director at Lincoln’s new Northeast High School. In addition, Mr. Forbes held part-time positions on the Wesleyan University and Doane College Faculties until 1947. Mr. Forbes directed the American Legion Boys State Band from 1939-1952. In 1949 he moved to Scottsbluff as Band and Orchestra Director. Mr. Forbes served as President-Elect, President 1950-51 and Second Vice-President. He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1980.


Ken Foust

Kenneth E. Foust retired in 1975 after starting and finishing his teaching career in Fairbury. Ken began teaching in 1937. He was loved greatly by students and parents alike.  He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Hall of Fame in 1999.

 


  David Fowler
Earl Green Earl Green began his teaching career at Fairmont. He was Director of Bands and also taught the string program at Benson High. Earl taught for sixteen years in Nebraska Public Schools. The rest of his 29 years of teaching were at UNL. Earl served as President of NSBA in 1974-75. was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Hall of Fame in 2000.

Arthur G. Harrell was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1980. He was inducted into the Kansas Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1978. He began his teaching career in the rural schools of NE in 1921, taught in Sumner 1923-1924; Littleton, CO 1926-1928; Kearney, NE 1929-1941; Jefferson City, MO; Independence, MO 1948-1949; and 22 years as Director of Music Education in the Wichita, KS, Schools. Mr. Harrell created the NE Bandmasters Association in 1926 which became the Nebraska Music Educators Association in 1937. He served as the first President of the Association from 1937-1940. He was awarded the Donald A. Lentz “Outstanding Bandmaster Award” in 1981.


Dr. Charles Harrington began his career teaching at the old Campus Laboratory School on the Chadron State College Campus. After two years he became Director of the Chadron State College Band. In 1976 he became Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences. He left education briefly but returned in 1982 as Chairman of the Division of Fine Arts and Director of Fine Arts Activities.  Dr. Harrington was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1995.


  Byron Havlicek
  George Hinn
  Harvey Hinshaw

Dr. Harry Holmberg’s first job was band director at Boulder High School in Colorado in 1940. During a portion of World War II, Harry was a music officer in Europe. After the war ended, he remained in London and took graduate work at the Guildhall School of Music and directed a Brass Band. Afterwards he was assistant band director and a music instructor at Iowa State University and assistant professor of music at Beloit College in Wisconsin. He was hired at Chadron State less than a week before classes began in the fall of 1953. He is a former Vice-President of the Executive Board of NMEA.  He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1986.

  Elmer Javorsky

B.A. “Bud” Johnson was the first recipient of the Donald A. Lentz “Outstanding Bandmaster” award in 1975.  He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1979. He taught years in rural schools in Chase Country, taught Vocal and Instrumental music for 6 years in Paxton, 2 years in Stromsburg, 5 years in Neligh and 26 years in Syracuse. Mr. Johnson served as President Elect, President in 1968-69, and Past President. Bud was the first recipient of the Don Lentz “Outstanding Bandmaster Award”.


Bryan Johnson was a lifelong Music Educator.  He was Director of Bands in the Oakland-Craig schools from 1977-2008.  Under his leadership the band evolved as one of the premier small school bands in the state.  In 2002-2003 the band reached a membership of 104.  The band received consistent superiors at District Music Contest and travel extensively throughout the United States and Canada.  Bryan served with distinction as the Secretary/treasurer of the Nebraska Music Educators Association.

  James Johnson

Kenneth Johnson taught instrumental and vocal music two years in Sherman, SD, 5 years in Newman Grove, NE, 5 years in Sheldon, IA, and 26 years in Columbus, NE. Mr. Johnson served NMEA as President Elect, President in 1948-1949 and as Second Vice-President.  He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1979.


  Duane Jorgensen

Dr. Raymond H. Kelton  taught at Montana State University, Texas Wesleyan College, East Central State University in Oklahoma and was a Professor at Wayne State College in Nebraska for 24 years until his retirement in 1984.  Dr. Kelton was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1993.


Dr. James M. King taught briefly in the Monte Vista, CO. public schools before joining the Hastings College faculty in 1929. Jimmy briefly retired but emerged from retirement in 1968 to join the faculty at the University of Wisconsin, River Falls. He served as President of the Brass Division of the College Band Director’s National Association and as President of the Nebraska State Bandmaster’s Association which he helped found. He held positions in MENC and NMEA. He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1980.


  Bettie Knapp
  Michael Kulba
  Ruth Lauer

Donald A. Lentz had a long and distinguished career in music, serving as Director of Bands at UNL for 35 years. He received national recognition as a teacher, conductor, flutist, composer and author. The highest award offered by NSBA is the Donald A. Lentz “Outstanding Bandmaster Award”.  He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1982.


  Ken Lotspiech
  Laird McCormick

Harry McNees began his teaching career at Hemingford, NE and moved to Kimball in 1952 as Director of the KCHS band where he remained until he retired.  The auditorium at Kimball County High School was renamed “The Harry McNees Auditorium” shortly after his retirement.  Harry was awarded the Donald A. Lentz “Outstanding Bandmaster” award in 1982.  He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1983.


John Moran began his teaching career at David City. In 1953, John became the K-12 vocal music teacher at Central City. In 1955, John became the vocal music director at University High School until it closed in 1967. John served as the administrator to the summer music camp at NU known then as All-State. He was a long-time Professor of Music and Director of the School of Music at University of Nebraska-Lincoln.   He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Hall of Fame in 2006.


Walter R. Olsen taught instrumental music in the Fremont, NE schools from 1934-1963 and served as head of the Fine Arts Department for 15 years. He also served as Director of Instrumental Music at Midland College from 1963-1969. He served NMEA as President-Elect, President in 1946-1947 and as Second Vice-President. He collaborated on a book with Don Lentz entitled “Bands of the Past to Present”.  He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1979.


  Harold Osbon
  Wesley Reist
A. E. Rembold  began his teaching career in Garden City, SD. After one year he moved to Kimball, SD where he taught 6 years, followed by 71/2 years at Tripp SD. He came to Blair in 1948 to rebuild that program. Mr. Rembold served as Secretary/Treasurer of NMEA.  He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1982.
J.H. Rennick

Bill Rischling began his teaching career at Merna Nebraska in 1951. He subsequently taught in Alma, Lamars and Woodbine Iowa, Omaha Ryan, Dodge and in Bayard from 1969-1985. Bill retired in 1993 and passed away in 2000. He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Hall of Fame in 2002.


  John Rogers

Lawrence Romeiser:  Mr. Romeiser was the Director of Bands at North Platte, NE high school until his retirement.  He had fine bands but was really known for some of the incredible musicians he developed.  Larry was President of NMEA from 1962-1963.  He was inducted into the NMEA Hall of Fame in 1982.


H. Arthur Schrepel was awarded the Donald A. Lentz “Outstanding Bandmaster” award in 1981.  He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1979. He taught Instrumental Music at Summerfield, KS, Table Rock and Pawnee City. After teaching in the Public Schools for 36 years he accepted a position supervising Music Education students and student teachers at the University of Nebraska. In retirement he taught part-time in the Lincoln Catholic Schools. Mr. Schrepel served as NMEA Chairman of Band Affairs and as President-Elect, President 1952-53, and as Second Vice-President. He served as Editor and Business Manager of the Nebraska Music Educators magazine from 1955 until his retirement.


Rod Schmidt began his teaching career at Sterling Public Schools. Later teaching in Falls City and then moving to the Bellevue Public Schools in 1974. He was the high school band director when the new Bellevue West High School opened in 1977 and later taught at Logan Fontenelle Middle School, Avery and Central Elementary Schools. He retired in 1996 and was a sales representative for Schmitt Music for several years. He is a former president of the Nebraska State Bandmasters Association, Nebraska Music Educators Hall of Fame, and the Donald A. Lentz Outstanding Bandmaster Award in 1985. In 1984 he received the Outstanding Jazz Educator Award from the National Association of Jazz Educators. For further information.

Don Schumacher’s first teaching position was at Neligh. He later taught at Wayne for seven year’s, Norfolk and Northeast Community College and finished his career at Pierce the last 13 years. Don served as NMEA President Elect from 1976-77 and President in 1978-79. He was awarded the Teacher of the Century for the Pierce Schools. He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Hall of Fame in 2001.

Fred Semin
1941-1944 M.H. Shoemaker
  Thomas Sibbit

Joseph Slavik began his teaching career in Rising City in 1955. He later taught in District 66, Neola Iowa and subsequently returned to Omaha Westside teaching at Arbor Heights JH and several elementary schools. He retired from his forty-one year teaching career in 1996.  He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Hall of Fame in 1999.  He was awarded the Donald A. Lentz “Outstanding Bandmaster Award” in 1983.

Rol Stock

Eugene Stoll:  Gene Stoll was Supervisor of Music for the Lincoln Public Schools.  He served as Conductor of the Lincoln Youth Orchestra.  He was killed in an automobile accident while on his way to adjudicate District Music Contest.

Marion Thayer’s music teaching career spanned forty-two years. He taught at Stapleton, Farnam, Arapahoe, thirty-one years at Grant and finished his career in Madrid. He taught both vocal and instrumental music for all but two years. Marion was a Charter member of NMEA and NSBA. He served as president of his local education association and Rotary Club.  was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Hall of Fame in 1997.

Merton Welch was Band and Orchestra Director at Norfolk, NE during most of his career in Nebraska. He moved to Fort Morgan, CO where he was the Orchestra Director for the school system. His sing along’s at State Clinic/Convention Banquets were always a highlight—particularly the singing of “Salvation is Created”.  He was inducted into the Nebraska Music Educators Association Hall of Fame in 1988.

Harold Welch:  Harold Welch taught instrumental music in Bridgeport, NE and then moved to the Westside Community Schools as Orchestra Director.  He remained in that position until his untimely death.  Harold served on the board as Chair of Orchestra Affairs. He was inducted into the NMEA Hall of Fame in 1993.

Gil Wilson